I want to learn all I can, live as wisely as I can, and savor every moment on the journey.
My new husband and I just returned from our wedding-honeymoon-vacation trip to Hawaii (the Big Island), and it was, of course, glorious! As neither of us had been there before, we were completely entranced by Hawaii’s magic and beauty. For example:
* The island’s beauty is incredibly varied:
* The appearance of the landscape constantly changes with the sky, so that everywhere you look, every second, it’s newly beautiful.
* The landscape of the Big Island differs dramatically from one location to the next. We went from beach, to desert, to mountains, to rainforest, to pastureland, and we didn’t even see the whole island. A trail guide told me that there are 13 basic types of weather in the world, and the Big Island has 11 of them (including snow, at the top of the volcano mountains)!
* The people and their culture are just as laid back as you’d imagine.
* We listened to the local radio as we drove around all week, and I never heard one song with a beat faster than that of the Beach Boys’ song “Kokomo.”
* All the people we interacted with gave me the strong impression that stress, hurry, and rudeness are not part of their cultural vocabulary at all.
* I also fell in love with the beauty of the people and their culture. For example, their language is full of great sounds and fun words:
* “Waikoloa” (wind)
* “Mahalo” (thank you)
* “Aloha” (hello, goodbye, and/or love)
As I settle back in to my everyday life, I want to keep these enchanting aspects of Hawaii’s island culture alive inside of me.
Here are a few more photos…we took roughly a thousand!