Musings on personal growth, books, motherhood, writing, and more. "Every hour is saved from that eternal silence, something more, a bringer of new things." – Tennyson
Hello, I’m Sarrah J. Woods. Thanks for visiting my blog! Here I write about things I’m learning and enjoying in the areas of writing, reading, and personal growth. I also post creative writings and photos.
I try to see every day as a chance to learn something new. That’s why my blog is titled “A Bringer of New Things,” which is a phrase from my favorite poem, “Ulysses” by Alfred, Lord Tennyson. Here’s the phrase in its immediate context:
“Life piled on life
Were all too little, and of one to me
Little remains: but every hour is saved
From that eternal silence, something more,
A bringer of new things.”
I wonder what new thing–insight, knowledge, person, experience–today will bring into my life?
I’m a writer from West Virginia, USA. In my free time during and after my day job as an insurance agent, I’m currently working on:
* A memoir about my coming-of-age experiences inside a deeply fundamentalist religion and my exodus from it (you can read a brief summary of my story here)
* Whatever essays, short stories, poems, song lyrics, and children’s stories/poems/songs I can spin out.
* On the back burner:
– Two young adult fantasy novels
– A niche blog: My Post-God Life
– A nonfiction book on some specific applications of modern humanist ethics
So, I LOVE writing. But I also love lots of other things, including:
* Learning! And all related aspects: reading, studying, analyzing, thinking, observing, and growing. I love learning about anything and everything, from art to zoology!
* Reading (I know I just included it under learning, but reading seems to need its own whole category!)–I will read almost anything (and want to read everything!), but I especially enjoy reading classic/literary fiction, mysteries and thrillers with strong characters and/or great plotting (and that aren’t too dark or gory), and children’s & YA fiction.
* Being in nature–taking walks, sitting outside, going on hikes or other adventures…I love pretty much anything that involves being in nature!
* Laughing with my husband.
* [New] Cuddling and playing with my twin baby girls!
* Having philosophical/psychological discussions with close friends.
* Being alone and thinking–or not thinking but just sitting in mindful observation of life around me in the present moment.
* Drinking tea.
* Listening to music or playing it (piano & guitar).
* Knitting cozy gifts for myself or family/friends.
* Writing longhand letters.
* Organizing stuff and making lists. 🙂
You can also connect with me on Twitter.