I want to read and learn all I can, write thoughtfully and truthfully, live according to reason and ever more mature wisdom, and savor every wonderful little gift of life.
Hello, I’m Sarrah J. Woods. Thanks for visiting my blog! Here I write about things I’m learning and enjoying in the areas of writing, reading, and personal growth. I also post creative writings and photos.
I try to see every day as a chance to learn something new. That’s why my blog is titled “A Bringer of New Things,” which is a phrase from my favorite poem, “Ulysses” by Alfred, Lord Tennyson. Here’s the phrase in its immediate context:
“Life piled on life
Were all too little, and of one to me
Little remains: but every hour is saved
From that eternal silence, something more,
A bringer of new things.”
I wonder what new thing–insight, knowledge, person, experience–today will bring into my life?
I’m a writer from West Virginia, USA. In my free time during and after my day job as an insurance agent, I’m currently working on:
* A young adult fantasy novel
* A memoir about my coming-of-age experiences inside a deeply fundamentalist religion and my exodus from it (you can read a brief summary of my story here)
* Whatever essays, short stories, children’s stories, poems, and song lyrics I can spin out! Mostly I use them to just fill my notebooks, but occasionally I will get up the nerve to submit something, post it on my blog, or share it with my writers’ group.
* On the back burner:
– A niche blog: My Post-God Life
– A nonfiction book on some specific applications of modern humanist ethics
Obviously, I LOVE writing. But I also love lots of other things, including:
* Learning! And all related aspects: reading, studying, analyzing, thinking, observing, and growing. I love learning about anything and everything, from art to zoology!
* Reading (I know I just included it under learning, but reading seems to need its own whole category!)–I will read almost anything (and want to read everything!), but I especially enjoy reading classic/literary fiction, mysteries and thrillers with strong characters and/or great plotting (and that aren’t too dark or gory), and children’s & YA fiction.
* Being in nature
* Laughing with my husband
* Cuddling with my cats
* Listening to and playing music
* Drinking tea
* Knitting cozy gifts for my family and friends
* Writing longhand letters (I’m always on the lookout for new penpals, so please speak up if you’re interested!)
* Journaling, taking walks, and just sitting still, outside, alone
* Eating yummy vegetarian ethnic food (especially Thai and Mexican)
* Organizing stuff and making lists 🙂
You can also connect with me on Twitter.